Sunday, November 17, 2013

Gutentag!

Gutentag meine Kinder,

"Ist die Post offen, Otto?" 
"Nein, sie ist am Sonntag geschlossen."

Whoa, hold up a minute, wrong language. My companion and I watched a church film in German a couple days ago (just for kicks), so I temporarily forgot. I`m actually in Japan.



On a more serious note, I am extremely saddened by the news of the typhoon in the Philippines. I am focusing my prayers on the families who have lost loved ones. We have several Filipino families in our ward, and one of our potential investigators is also Filipino, and I will be checking up with them this week to see how their families are doing. I`m so glad to hear that Elder Bullock is safe.

This week in Japan was great. We now have two new investigators, Shi-san and Sei-chan. Shi-san is a friend of ours from Eikaiwa, the free English class that we teach every week. She is also a former investigator who is open to hearing the missionary lessons from us again. We pray that this time she may be able to be baptized (she didn`t get baptized before because her husband wouldn`t let her). She`s wonderful. Super fun, always happy. 

Here's Patrick, who attends our Eikaiwa
Sei-chan is the 14-year old daughter of a less-active family. Her parents have been baptized, but the father and mother both work so much that they can't make it to church. We visit the family every week though, and they`re wonderful. We picked up the daughter as an investigator after teaching about God to her and her mother and inviting her to learn more, an invitation that she accepted with a big smile. AWESOME.

N-san is doing well. We meet with him all the time, whether it`s teaching a lesson or going out to eat or playing ping pong. SPEAKING OF PING PONG......I`ve been getting pretty good, if I may say so myself. Like almost Forrest Gump status. Elder A and I play ping pong at the church every Saturday morning with investigators and members and whoever wants to come join us. Super fun. 

We were unable to get a hold of Fu-san and Fi-san for almost two weeks after calling and visiting multiple times. They called us back two days ago to say they are currently in Kobe and will be there until next month. Bummer that we have to temporarily drop them from our teaching pool, but at least it`s not because they don`t want to hear from us anymore. We`ll pick them back up again next month when they return home.

On Wednesday I got an interesting phone call. Elder A answered the phone in Japanese ("moshi moshi"), but immediately switched to English and handed the phone to me. "I dunno, some guy speaking English. Weird." 

When I answered the phone, I was greeted by the warmly familiar voice of Grandpa Beus. Turns out he and Grandma called President Yamashita, and got permission to come take Elder A and I out to dinner this coming week as they prepare to head home from their mission down in Fukuoka!! How legit is that!! They're taking a bullet train up to her from Fukuoka, and I get to see them on Thursday and Friday morning before they head back! SUPER excited. Totally took me by surprise. What a wonderful blessing.

Mom! I didn't buy it, but I took a picture for you
Mom, THANK YOU for the package with the CDs and hot chocolate and weird Mormon gum (where the heck did you find "Chews the Right"??). Made my week, and I`ve been listening to both those CDs every day. My favorite is "I Love the Lord" from the BYU Men`s Chorus, the lyrics of which are based on one of my favorite chapters in the Book of Mormon (2 Nephi 4). 

Awake, my soul! No longer droop in sin.
Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my soul
Do not anger again because of mine enemies.
Do not slacken my strength because of mine afflictions
Rejoice, O my heart, and cry unto the Lord, and say:
O Lord, I will praise thee forever; yea my soul will rejoice in thee, 
my God and the rock of my salvation

The Rock of Salvation
Speaking of scriptures, I`ve made it to 2 Chronicles in the Old Testament, making my way toward my goal to have the entire O.T. finished by the end of the year. When I finish, I will have finally worked my way entirely through all of the standard works plus Jesus the Christ since coming on my mission. I really love the scriptures, more than I have ever realized before.

I need to finish up this email, but I just want to let you all know how much I love you, both family and friends. You are all so wonderful.

Peace and love,

Elder Matt Naylor

No comments:

Post a Comment