Friday, July 26, 2013

Senpai

Hey family and friends,

"Senpai" is the term used to describe missionaries who've been here between 3 and 6 weeks. We just got a new group of baby "kohai" who we have charge over to make sure they don't get too overwhelmed. It's nice to see some new faces around here. Unfortunately, we had to say goodbye to some wonderful missionaries who departed to Japan this past Monday. They will be missed dearly.

Last Sunday, the branch presidency came and pulled me out of class to talk to me. I got really wide-eyed and thought I was in trouble or something (my mind immediately flashed to the night last week when my fellow elders and me had a race in the residence hall after sitting against the wall for thirty minutes squeezing all the blood and circulation out of our legs). I have been called as the new District Leader. Needless to say, I was very surprised.

So now I'm charged with the stewardship and care of everyone in my district. It's been great getting to know everyone on a personal level and be there for them when needed. I feel an increase of the Spirit and a greater capacity to love others. I'm looking forward to the next few weeks of learning more from my peers and being able to serve them to the best of my ability.

Elder B might be running long on language 
and short on sleep.

I finished reading the Book of Mormon this week (in English). My testimony has grown a hundredfold as I read over the past few weeks. This was the first time I really read the Book of Mormon cover-to-cover in a more intimate way, just diving right in and soaking it up like a sponge. I visualized each story happening in my head and I felt the Spirit manifest the truth to me. I'm grateful for the blessing of this book.

The language is coming along. I have now memorized the Missionary Purpose and Joseph Smith's First Vision in Nihongo (Japanese).

 Joseph Smith's account of the First Vision in Nihongo. Score!
The Lord has really blessed us with the gift of tongues.

This week, we taught more lessons in Nihongo and got some new "investigators." One of our teachers, Nitta sensei, is a total bro. He's 21 and just fresh off his mission to Tokyo. We've all connected really well with him, and he does a fantastic job of teaching us while still helping us enjoy ourselves.

I'm really enjoying it here. No complaints so far, except I'm really missing my guitar right now. I am working on trying to audition to play a special musical number in one of the meetings or devotionals, but there are no guitars around, and Church people don't really like guitars I guess. I certainly feel the Spirit when I play hymns on that beautiful instrument though, and I'd love to be able to share that with people. I do love hearing other people's talents when they play instruments for us.

My doryo and me.  The Church changed missionary dress codes last week, 
so we can wear vests and sweaters without suitcoats if desired. I dig the vest, so I wear it.

Thanks for the love and support. I couldn't be any happier, and though I miss you all very much, I know that there is nothing better that I could be doing right now. It is an honor to serve.

Ai shitte imasu!

Mata ne,
Elder Naylor

1 comment:

  1. Matt!
    Miss you bud, glad youre doing well!

    Sean
    *Troll Face*

    ReplyDelete